Drinking ice or cold water can only give temporary relief from the scorching heat outside and this could also come with serious health consequences. Experts have said that cold water is at a temperature that contradicts the overall temperature within the body system, and so, drinking cold water regularly could have negative impact on the heart and digestive system.
Here are some reasons you should not drink cold water
- It interferes with digestion, drinking ice or cold water hampers the process of digesting food as it causes your blood vessels to shrink, this can slow down the digestion and as the food is not digested properly, the nutrients are lost or not absorbed by the body.
- It decreases your heart rate, Studies have shown that drinking ice or cold water stimulates the vagus nerve. The vagus nerve mediates the lowering of the heart rate and the low temperatures of ice water act as a stimulus to the nerve which causes the heart rate to drop.
- It robs u of nutrients, the body temperature is 37 degree Celsius and when you drink something at a very low temperature, your body has to spend energy to regulate its temperature, this spent energy, can be used to digest food and absorb nutrients, thereby leaving your body short of nutrients.
- It increases your chance of getting a sore throat; drinking cold water can cause the buildup of respiratory mucosa, which is a protective layer of the respiratory tract. When the layer is congested, the respiratory tract is exposed and becomes vulnerable to various infections and hence, the chances of your throat turning sore are high.
- Studies also indicates that the problem with cold water is that; as the liquid passes through your system, the cool temperature solidifies fats from the foods we have eaten and thus the body in turn finds it hard to digest the unwanted fats from our stomach.
Once you get into the habit of drinking water at room temperature or warm, you will notice a dramatic improvement in your digestion and the way your body feels while eating and after the meal. It curbs sugar craving.